Meet Ben Simpson, the acquisitions director at Amplify Publishing Group. With six years of experience in the book industry, he brings invaluable knowledge and skills to Team APG and to our authors. Get to know Ben a little better in this month’s employee spotlight.
Describe your role at Amplify Publishing Group.
- When authors submit their work to APG, I’m one of the first pairs of eyes to see it. I review manuscripts, concepts, and even outlines to determine the author’s best publishing path, including making recommendations around the level of editing and design work that is needed.
What’s one thing that surprised you about your position?
- I thoroughly enjoy the multitude of genres and types of projects that come to us. Over the years, I have been able to pick up bits and pieces of knowledge from our authors and discover stories I had never heard before.
What accomplishment are you most proud of?
- While most projects tend to move from the initial review into the production process in a timely manner, there occasionally are authors who need more time and discussion before taking the next step. I have had a few authors that I spoke to years ago and kept in touch with who are finally ready to move forward with publishing. Those projects sometimes bring the most satisfaction due to my never-ending belief in the work.
What are you currently reading?
- Last year I set a goal of reading 100 books. Though I fell a tad bit short and ended up completing around 87 books instead, the goal helped me continue stoking my love of reading and discovering new projects. My current read is “Vanderbilt: The Rise and Fall of an American Dynasty” by Anderson Cooper and Katherine Howe.
What is something you’ve learned in the last week?
- That my daughter—she’s almost 2—quite enjoys it when I slip and fall.
What’s something that people don’t know about you?
- I am an avid consumer of music and run a successful YouTube Channel, “The Music Rabbit Hole,” about music that has accumulated close to 3,500 subscribers.